Monday, November 7, 2011

price matching

For today’s post I asked my friend and cousin, Monica, to write it. Price matching is her sole way of saving money and she is great at it!    Here is what she wanted to share:
_______________________________________________________________________________
So, I typed up this really long explanation about how and why I use ad matching at Wal-Mart. Down to the tiniest details! Then I realized how boring it was. So I'm going to try a different approach.

First let's talk about my method. I do most of my shopping at the beginning of the month and preferably the beginning of the week. I round up my ads and start looking at what I NEED that is on sale. Then I look at what meat is cheapest and then what produce is cheapest and so on down the list. Once I know what'll be the cheapest to buy, I plan my menu for the month around what will cost the least. After I know what I'll be cooking I make my list of items that I'll need to buy including my family's regular lunch and breakfast items. Next, I use a Sharpie to circle any item I need in my ads. Now comes the time consuming part. I like to make life a little bit easier for the cashiers by making a spreadsheet of each item, it's price and which store ad it is in.

Now for the shopping! I always take a calculator to check and see if the sale price is the cheapest. Many times the store brand is cheaper, but not always. Also, the store brand isn't always as good as the name brand (in my opinion). If I end up not getting the specific item that is on sale I just cross it off of my list. Sometimes I'll eliminate whole ads like that. The most important part is to always put your ad matching items last on the conveyor belt and to notify the cashier that there are ad match items at the end.
There are some downsides to ad matching though:
• They will only match the price on the exact same item which means that store brands are out. (I usually stop at one or more other stores while I'm nearby to pick up good sales on store brands.)
• They will not ad match meat per lb unless is it packaged by the lb. (i.e. They like to package their ground beef in 2.5 lb packs which other stores rarely advertise a set price for that set weight.)
• They will not give you a per lb price on a produce item that they are currently selling per piece and vice versa (i.e. you cannot buy a cantaloupe for 20¢ per lb if they are selling them at $1 each)
• They will not match online pricing; only in store sales.
• Wal-Mart is notorious for carrying package sizes that no other store carries so they don't have to price match those things. (The perk is that many grocery stores carry a variety of sizes and so their ads give a package size range rather than a specific size.)
• I have heard of some Wal-Marts claiming that they will not ad match a store that isn't within 2 miles of it. (This is not stated in their public policy so you could dispute it.)
My tips for success:
• Be organized to save yourself a headache.
• Use coupons to save even more .
• Wal-Mart will ad match from ANY store ad, not just grocery stores.
• I only get ads for grocery stores that are located near me, but I can look up other grocery store ads online. As long as the price is valid in store Wal-Mart will match it.
• You do not HAVE to have the ad with you for the cashier to match it (it says so in their policy).
• Most stores do not list brand names for their produce sales. That means that you can use them for Wal-Mart produce. (i.e. Albertson's lists 5lb bag of russet potatoes for 99¢, Any 5 lb bag of russet potatoes at Wal-Mart will be matched at 99¢)
• I buy ALL of my produce at Wal-Mart. I've found at my local Wal-Mart that I get the best selection in the morning.
• Even if the ad states only select varieties, you can pick any at Wal-Mart within the size and brand listed. (i.e. 3 boxes of General Mills cereal for $7, select varieties, 12-19 oz means as long as they are within the size and brand, it's 3 for $7). You get to pick your favorites this way!
• Though it is time consuming, I have made a spreadsheet with the prices of items that I purchase often at store that I shop often. I can compare those prices to sales so I always know if it's a good deal or not.
• You can use other store's coupons, even the ones that are $5 off a purchase of $25 or more. (in AZ you cannot anymore is the rumor.)
• Keep a copy of Wal-Mart's ad match policy when you shop if you don't have your ads with you. Here is the link: http://walmartstores.com/10563.aspx
Wal-Mart doesn't give you a breakdown of your savings, but I do spend about $200 a month less than I used to. For example my total expenses for my monthly shopping were $126 and some change. I went to 2 stores other than Wal-Mart to buy store brands. I should only need to spend not even $30 more on additional produce, milk and bread!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 I
price matched once and had a wonderful experience. I didn’t have the ad but the cashier had it on hand and flipped through it with me. I definitely know that if you are going to price match frequently you need a spreadsheet to keep things quick and organize. Personally I would do my spread sheet by store, then the product in alphabetical order and the page number where it is in the ad.

GOOD LUCK!
Be sure to check out yesterdays post about organizing coupons and stay tuned for tomorrows post, " A few tips for holiday shopping"

No comments:

Post a Comment